Monday 3 February 2014

Spin class - aka Bikes of Toment

Spin.  This is a curious word, because when spoken out loud, it seems to cause the same reactions in people as the word “tequila.”  People shudder, dry retch, close their eyes, moan painfully and say things like, “No, God no, never again…”  Spin class, which is simply a bunch of stationary bikes in a room, is known the world over for being a brutal and sadistic experience.  Having never tried spin personally, I headed down to Ashmore PCYC gym to work out what all the fuss was about.

Walking into the spin room, I was confronted by dozens of bikes and a very tiny instructor.  She greeted me with a huge, sweet smile and considerately helped me adjust my bike to an optimum seating position.  With gentle words, she explained that the little lever would increase the resistance when pushed up and where to look to see how fast I was pedaling. 

As the rest of the class filtered in, I observed the kinds of people who were spin enthusiasts.  Our group contained a few well-honed bodies, but there were also several larger people and a granny.  With my bike cruising along at warm up speed and people laughing and chatting around me, it felt very relaxed and social.  The lovely instructor switched off the main lights and bathed the room in the glow of UV bulbs, sending all white objects a brilliant purple.  It was fun and different and I felt raring to go.  “What are people complaining about?” I wondered…

I didn’t wonder for long.  Warm up finished and my friendly instructor suddenly morphed into a screaming commando.  “Come on people!  Get those legs moving!  I can see you’re not working hard enough from here – LET’S GO!!!”  Blindsided, I pumped my legs as fast as I could, hoping it would get easier.

Nope.  Over the next 40 minutes, I ran a full and extreme range of emotions:

Fear: “Oh God!  Please don’t let her look at me!  Please let this end!” 

Childishness:  “NO!  I will NOT give you another 10 second sprint!  I DON’T WANT TOO!!!” 

Anger:  “ForGET you lady, I don’t have to put up with this.  Push YOUR resistance up…” 

Nausea:  “Yup.  I’m gonna vomit.  I really am.  Lucky there’s a basket by the door…”

And grief:  “I CAN’T, I CAN’T!  (Tears roll silently down my face)  I’m just hopeless!  You’ve broken me!!!”

But when I looked at the display on the bike of pain at the end of class, I realised I’d burnt a ridiculous amount of calories.  Leaving on shaky legs, I waved at the instructor, back to her perky self again. 
“Bye!” she called after me cheerfully.  “See you again soon!”  I let out a manic giggle that made a few people look up from their stretching and smile at me knowingly.

For two days I walked like a cowboy, and I really did think I was done with bikes that went nowhere.  But I kept thinking about that amazing calorie count and coupled with my resolve to try every new class 3 times before writing it off, I went back again later that week and once more a few days later.

And you know what?  My thighs actually changed shape!  And my belly got tighter!  And the sprints and hill climbs, well, they didn’t get easy, but they did get easier.  The resistance levels that seemed impossible on the first day had become an intense and satisfying challenge.  I even converted enough to approach a couple of new girls after their first class as they lay glassy-eyed on the floor.  “Don’t worry,” I said confidently, “It gets better.”

Spin classes are available at most gyms around the Gold Coast and range in price from $10-$20 a class. 



No comments:

Post a Comment